Home Forums Pat Shaw’s Interpretations Humours of the Age

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vic Godrich

I agree with most of what Robert Moir says. However the 5th line 4th bar should be A F B nat D nat C sharp E. If you look at the two facsimiles in the book it is obvious from the Dancing Master version. In the Kynaston version the sharp sign meant that the note should be raised a semitone I.e. B flat becomes B natural. Sharps and flats were not specific to one note until later in the history of notation. The accidental were also shown by signs over the top of the note rather than by its side. I didn’t find the harmonies very exciting but in line 3 bar 5 the harmony should quite clearly be D minor not F. Furthermore in Pat’s notes Pat made a mistake. In bar 22 the 4th note should be D.

#529 Reply
    Robert Moir

I have found some differences between the tune in ALAP and whar Pat wrote in his original notes, which are very interesting: 3rd line, 2nd bar, 2nd note – B natural. 4th line, 3rd bar, 2nd note – B natural. 5th line, 4th bar – A.F.B natural.D natural.C sharp.E. 8th line, 1st bar, 3rd note – F (not G).

#570 Reply
    bculkin
    Keymaster

Pat’s original notes and music for this dance are now on this website under additional material

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #571 in Humours of the Age
Your information: